Thursday, January 15, 2015

A Gentle Push

Happy New Year, 2015!  And welcome to my inaugural blog post.  “Like we need one more blogger on the Internet,” you’re probably saying.  And while you might be right, I’ve got to give this a go.  I’ve been thinking about it for years!  So why not? And why now?

Well, it all started with One Little Word.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that people were posting on Facebook about “their word.”  Huh?? I thought and then didn’t think much more of it.  Then my friend Beth wrote a blog post about her word that linked to this blog post by Ruth Ayres.  And that’s where I found out that OLW (One Little Word) is an actual thing.  And apparently it’s BEEN a thing for years (Heck, Ruth has already collected a decade’s worth of words – A DECADE!) and I’m just getting into the loop now. And then my friend Kellee posted HER word, and then Cindy….and well, you see where this is going.  

Everyone had a word, but what would be MY word?  And how in the heck does anyone ever choose a single word to live with for the whole year?  So I did a little more research (aka: Googled It) and found this pretty cool blog by Ali Edwards (Creating Keepsakes flashback, Scrapbook fans!)  who offers a yearly course on it for only $31.00, so – yeah- I signed up and I did what she said – I “listened to my life” and thought about my word.   I mulled it around in my mind. I thought about it while I switched the laundry from washer to dryer.  I pondered it while I dried my hair after the shower.  I went to the gym.  

And then it came to me:  

It came to me while I was doing – you guessed it – push-ups.  Not my favorite, but boy do those things have a great pay-out.  I was listening to the instructor say, “Only four on your toes,” and I thought, “I can do four on my toes.”  And I almost died, but I did it.  We went back to our knees for a few and then he said, “Four more on your toes.  Push it.”  PUSH IT!  There it was.  Right in front of me; not exactly written in the beads of my sweat, but you get the picture.

So, this year I am going to:

PUSH limits
PUSH boundaries
PUSH out of my comfort zone
PUSH back (but nicely. Maybe.)
not be a PUSH over
PUSH through (because there are days like that)
PUSH it.  (“Push it good….p-push it real good!”  You saw that coming, right?)

and see where the year and my OLW take me.  

Looks like this was just the PUSH I needed. 

3 comments:

  1. You're not the last one to get in on OLW. I had not heard of this till now. Thank you for one of my first mentor texts of the new semester! My sophomores are going to love this. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see what your students come up with! And you, of course!

      Delete
  2. Love it, Jen! So great to see you here! My word is FOCUS! And, I should be FOCUSED on my own writing right now, but I had to stop by to say hello! I'm excited about your new blog!

    ReplyDelete